Monday, October 8, 2012

Musical Findings of The Lower East Side

Lately in NYC, I haven't had much free time. Between working at a place I'm passionate about, furthering my own ventures, and fostering my personal relationships, I rarely have time to do anything else. So when I do find myself with some spare time, it's hard for me to choose what to do. 

I live in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, which I have found extremely rich with history. The history is diverse and covers a lot of different areas, but I want to specifically focus on the musical side of things.

Many of the bands and musical scenes I grew up with and have made a difference in my life have also made their own mark in the Lower East Side and East Village. Here are a few of my findings, all of which lie within 5-20 minute walks from me. When you see them, it makes you think of all the people who unknowingly pass by every day, unaware of the musical and cultural significance. 


96-98 St. Marks Place: 
"Physical Graffiti" Led Zeppelin Building





On St. Marks Place, between 1st and Avenue A lies the building to the left, which was the building used for the cover of Led Zeppelin's album, "Physical Graffiti," due to it's uncanny symmetrical properties. 






"Physical Graffiti" is Led Zeppelin's longest album, and features staple songs such as Kashmir, Houses of the Holy, and my personal favorite on the album, Bron-Yr-Aur. 




315 Bowery
Remains of CBGB 





315 Bowery lies host to what is debatably the birth and rise of punk rock, CBGB. The name stands for "Country, Bluegrass, and Blues," but is hardly what the club became known for. Punk and New Wave music flourished in this gritty dive, and bands such as The Ramones, The Misfits, Talking Heads, Joan Jett, etc. all played and made part of their rise here.

The walls were covered with band stickers and writings of drunk, young rebels, and I am truly disappointed that I didn't ever get the chance to experience this place. I would've dug it big time.

Now, if you are to visit 315 Bowery, you will come across a high-end retail store for designer John Varvatos. Some of the walls are still preserved and covered in the "filthy art," but it is a shame to see so much history and counter culture be gentrified by trend. 






Corner of Rivington and Ludlow
"Paul's Boutique" Beastie Boys Building 


Perhaps the closest musical find to my current location is 99 Rivington, host to the old-school corner shot used for the Beastie Boys second studio album, "Paul's Boutique." 













When I walk by this corner everyday, I can picture the colorful, urban scene of the album to the right. Rivington has seen it's share of gentrification, but overall still maintains the mix of vibes between diversity, immigration, and alternative culture that it seemed to have back in the day as well. 







Jones Street and W 4th
Location for "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"


On the tiny Jones Street near West 4th in Greenwich Village is where the photo for debatably my personal favorite album, "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," was shot. This album holds a place in my heart and in the world with it's deep and important songs of human nature. Blowin' In the Wind, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, and Don't Think Twice It's All Right, are three of my favorite songs of all time, and they are all songs which no music today can even come close to in terms of songwriting.

Even walking down this street now is still somewhat simple, and gives me the chills. 

In essence, living in such an area as the Lower East Side of New York City is pretty awesome. It's inspiring and chilling to see that this area has also affected some of my favorite musicians and cultures, and I hope to find even more gems when I get some more free time! If you know of any, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment